4.02.2013

{Babies! As in two!}

We  found out we were going to be parents on April 16, 2012.  What a wonderful and nerve racking day!  I was scheduled to go to the doctor early that morning for a pregnancy test.  My emotions and mind were racing.  I was hopeful and excited, but knew I had to prepare myself for a negative result.  I drove to the doctor's office and patiently sat in the waiting room.  They called my name and off I went to have my blood drawn.  It was a quick appointment.  The nurse sent me on my way and said I would receive a call, later that day, with the results. 

I didn't have, what I thought, were the usual signs of pregnancy.  I wasn't queasy or tired and aside from my rampant emotions, I felt pretty good.  The entire drive home I thought, "I don't think it worked.  I'm not pregnant.However, when I pulled into the garage and turned off my car, the thought came to my mind, "You can still be positive even if the IVF didn't work."  

I am, by nature, a positive person.  Yes.  My positive outlook may come more naturally than it does to others.  However, making a point to be happy, is something I consciously do.  I make an effort to ensure my life is one of happiness and laughter.    

As I got out of the car, I thought of Marjorie Pay Hinckley.  She is, aside from my mother, one of the most positive women I have ever known. And although I never knew her, personally, I admire her outlook on life.  She said, "The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it.  You either have to laugh or cry.  I prefer to laugh.  Crying gives me a headache."  I decided then and there I would be happy if my pregnancy test was positive or negative.

How could I be happy with a negative pregnancy test?  I could be happy with the close bond I had formed with my husband while undergoing IVF.  I was happy to be surrounded by loving and supportive family and friends.  I could be happy knowing I had been blessed to feel the prayers and fasting of others, offered on my behalf.  I was happy knowing that I would be a mother, some day - either through adoption or carrying my own child.  It WAS going to happen.  I was sure. 

You might be thinking, "Really?  You had these thoughts?  It's easy to say all this, almost a year later."  But it's true!  I thought my pregnancy test would be negative and spent most of April 16th coming up with reasons why I could (and would) be happy with a negative result.  This is not to say, however, that I wouldn't be dissapointed and crushed if told I wasn't pregnant.  Rather to say, I was doing my best to find the good in a potentially heartbreaking outcome.  

When the doctor's office called, my heart was racing.  I picked up the phone and was incredibly nervous.  I tried to prepare myself by sensing the tone of the nurse's voice.  Was she happy?  Sad?  Trying to let me down easily?  I didn't know what to think.  After a few questions she finally said, "You're pregnant." What?!?!  I screamed.  Literally.  Screamed.  I screamed so loud I scared our dog.  The nurse laughed.  I hung up the phone and dropped to my knees saying, "thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you" over and over again, through my tears.  

I quickly got in the car and drove to Christian's office.  He saw me and could tell I had been crying.  But were they happy or sad tears?  We walked outside, holding hands, not saying a wordAfter taking a few steps we stopped.  I looked at him and simply said, "Yes."  We both cried and shared a sacred, quiet moment.  We were going to be parents. 

A few weeks later, on May 2nd, we were told I was carrying twins!  There is no way to adequately express the overwhelming joy I felt when 1) I was told I would become a mother and 2) that Heavenly Father was blessing us with two children.  I had always wanted twins.  And ironically enough had actually asked Santa Claus for twin baby dolls, when I was a little girl, not once - but two years in a row.  And not just any kind of twins...they needed to be boy/girl twins.  

As my pregnacy progressed, I was convinced I was carrying twin girls.  Goodness gracious, am I glad I was wrong.  On July 18th, Christian and I were told we were going to have a GIRL...and....a BOY!  Now came the fun part.  Telling our parents.  We decided to use balloons. 

Grandma & Grandpa 

Nana & Bobo
{Watch out for the ceiling fan!}

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute/touching! Love the way you told your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post Millie! It brought tears to my eyes. I just love your mom. She's hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those videos. They got me emotional because I remember too clearly when I was in your shoes (though I wasn't nearly as positive as you were!) You are really an inspiration and I wish we lived closer!!! So happy for you guys and those cute babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me cry. Love your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome example you are. Thank you for your positive example and inspirational words. And...THAT is awesome! Such a clever way to tell. Love that you video-ed it.....but dorky me telling Dad to hold the box was embarrassing! Ha. So perfect to get a handsome BOY AND a beautiful GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete